February 14, 2010

A Little Paint Can Make a Big Difference

Living room before painting.When I get bored with a room, I buy some wall paint and in a snap the entire room is transformed. Paint is budget-friendly, is a quick and easy home improvement project, and it makes a big impact on the look and feel of a room. Bonus: if you don't like it, paint over it and you've only lost the cost of 1 can of paint and a little of your time.

Room paint job in process.After thinking about it for way too long, I finally decided to paint the wall that features a fireplace. The fireplace brick is not my first choice, but it came with the house and for now we'll keep it. Plus, the other 3 walls in that room are mostly windows, so the fireplace wall tends to look lighter in color from all the natural light.

What I did to minimize the no-so-great brick is to paint the surrounding wall a color that would better complement the brick. What do you think, does it look better?
Living room featuring new wall paint color.

10 comments:

Annette said...

It looks great! The wall and fireplace look like they were made to go together now. Good job!

Anonymous said...

It looks great. That's just exactly what happened to my fireplace when we repainted the wall behind it. Marlene

Kitchen Countertops said...

The light color shade was better as the fireplace mantel was distinct, the new darker shade would give a great effect with lights.

Griff said...

A little paint can make a HUGE difference! I was trying to spruce one of our bathrooms up & didn't know what to do so I started looking at anything I had. Well lo and behold I found my baby bottle cleaner that has a neat looking top & I found some gold paint, dipped the tip in & went to town! It made it look so awesome!

Kaira said...

You have a really interesting blog, and I love reading your posts! I am a realtor and artist in Portland, Oregon, and I will be sure to mention your site in my blog at www.homesbykaira.com. Please stop by my site, and I will continue to follow your blog as well. Keep up the great posts!

manhattan pressurized walls said...

It looks great. It is more better than the old one. Even a simple paint can contribute a big difference in a home. In renovating and your home and looking forward to have an extra with stylish walls manhattan pressurized walls is the better solution.

NJ Cellulose Insulation Contractor said...

Paint really does make a huge difference. Going lighter can brighten a room while darker can add elegance and a regal feel. Living rooms look especially great in deep, rich colors while bathrooms look great in lighter colors due to their lack of natural lighting already. Excellent post!

Jamie said...

Paints can make an old wall and fence look new just like the
wood fence carroltton tx

surveillance systems for home said...

Nice renovations, the interior now looks brand new.

bath and kitchen remodel gta said...

It has been said that a light paint makes room look brighter while darker ones do the opposite. Your painting job is nice and blends well with surrounding objects.