March 8, 2009

Bi-Fold Closet Doors: Boring to Fun!


Although I am an artistically-challenged person, I did paint the sports theme design on these bi-fold closet doors. You, too, can easily take your boring closet doors from drab to creative with just a little paint.

Begin by finding a desirable design from a magazine, website or another resource. Make it easy on yourself and select a design that is either cartoonish (like mine) so it doesn't need to be exact, or an image you can trace using a projector. Take the doors down and put them on a flat work surface, and go to work! Don't over think it, just do it.

To add both dimension and function, I added real lockers on each side of the closet. The lockers were a rummage sale find, and I simply painted them to match.

On a side note, to continue my sports theme, I also painted a basketball backboard on the wall. A nerf basketball hoop completed the design which again added both function and design. The theme words going around the backboard are simply letter stickers.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

This is by far the most amazing closet doors I've ever seen. You are truly a crafty person. I LOVE your site!

Ellen @ floors-walls-ceilings.blogspot.com said...

It really was a lot of fun to paint. If we ever sell the house, I'll have to take the doors with me because it's the only decent "art" project I've ever done! Thanks for your kind comments.

Jules said...

Awesome! Would be fun to paint a solid color, and then let me daughter paint a "masterpiece" on her own closet doors. Paint is cheap, she can paint over it as she ages.

Your site is giving me so many ideas, definitely bookmarked.